Our little caterpillar friend Wooley kind of feels like our fourth pet lately because we've had him all winter and we're busy watching all the changes he's going through. Lia and I tried unsuccessfully to move his habitat outside. We put him into a plastic container and poked holes in the top and put him outside in the shade. Unfortunately we then had monsoon rains and poor Wooley almost drowned. Luckily I went out to check on him and found his house overcome with water. But he was still alive so we brought him in the house and put him in the butterfly cage we got to do our butterfly experiment that was part of our school for this year. I spoke to a lady at a local place where they raise butterflies in the spring and asked her what we should do with Wooley. I told her he seemed uninterested in eating and she said he was probably ready to spin his cocoon and that we should not worry about it and just watch what would happen. Sure enough, Wooley headed to the top of the net enclosure and stayed there for a day or so and then began spinning a spider like thread and shedding some of his hair to make a cocoon. Here's a picture of what he looks like now. I'm sorry if it's difficult to see but I had to be very careful not to disturb his cocoon when trying to pull the lid back to get the picture. We'll keep you updated of our Wooley's progress :)
May 3, 2009
Wooley update
Our little caterpillar friend Wooley kind of feels like our fourth pet lately because we've had him all winter and we're busy watching all the changes he's going through. Lia and I tried unsuccessfully to move his habitat outside. We put him into a plastic container and poked holes in the top and put him outside in the shade. Unfortunately we then had monsoon rains and poor Wooley almost drowned. Luckily I went out to check on him and found his house overcome with water. But he was still alive so we brought him in the house and put him in the butterfly cage we got to do our butterfly experiment that was part of our school for this year. I spoke to a lady at a local place where they raise butterflies in the spring and asked her what we should do with Wooley. I told her he seemed uninterested in eating and she said he was probably ready to spin his cocoon and that we should not worry about it and just watch what would happen. Sure enough, Wooley headed to the top of the net enclosure and stayed there for a day or so and then began spinning a spider like thread and shedding some of his hair to make a cocoon. Here's a picture of what he looks like now. I'm sorry if it's difficult to see but I had to be very careful not to disturb his cocoon when trying to pull the lid back to get the picture. We'll keep you updated of our Wooley's progress :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment